Good and Bad habits of IT specialist
To work in the IT field, you will need to have not only hard skills but also soft skills. This includes habits that can either contribute to career growth or significantly slow it down due to conflicts that may arise. What do you need to know about useful habits in programming? What should you pay attention to and what should you focus on developing?
Many believe that a professional is someone who does not mix emotions and work. But in that case, we are talking about a robot. Working in a team always involves communication to some extent based on emotions. The better people are able to interact and find mutual understanding, the better the teamwork will be.
The question “What is important for an IT specialist?” always causes a lot of debate. It is believed that people who choose to program as their profession are generally not very communicative and do not always feel comfortable in society. But if you look at the requirements of companies for IT vacancies, you can see that employers value not only professional skills but also the ability to work with people. This is especially true for IT professions that involve constant contact with employees and clients.
What does it mean to be a professional in one’s field as an IT specialist
A professional is a person who possesses expert knowledge and certain habits that build trust among those around them, and respect from colleagues and partners. Advancement in IT involves constant improvement not only of professional skills but also self-improvement with the goal of understanding the peculiarities of human thinking and the ability to convey information. All together characterizes an IT specialist as a professional, a person who moves in the right direction and can predict the results of their work.
Critical thinking, business orientation, and the importance of empathy in the work of an IT specialist
What are the good habits that should be present in programmers and other IT specialists? First and foremost, one of the very necessary and useful skills is critical thinking. It allows not to focus on subjective perception but to consider various options and possible outcomes of decisions made. Together, this helps to keep communication between employees working on the same project under control and, at the same time, to react promptly to possible failures in work due to the human factor.
Habits that can affect work in IT, growth in IT, and commitment can be developed and strengthened. The better a specialist is able to communicate information, the fewer unnecessary words – the more effective teamwork will be. Another logical skill that follows from this is business orientation.
In addition to keeping the team informed of project goals and progress stages, it is important to be able to effectively communicate the value of the developed product or service to potential customers. The ability to focus on solutions rather than problems is an important habit for a programmer. Everyone working on the project should have an idea of how the finished product will work and how it can be made even more promising and in demand.
Can one person do it alone? In most cases, they did not. And that means that in addition to everything else, one of the good habits that can be developed is empathy. This is the ability to understand and empathize with others, to support and motivate them. Empathy allows you to connect with your audience, receive feedback, and gather additional information.
12 Habits of Successful Professionals by Brian Hawkins
To be a professional means to constantly work on oneself. What are some useful habits for an IT specialist? According to Brian Hawkins, President of EDUCAUSE, one should develop such skills and habits:
- The ability to interact with colleagues, partners, clients, and consumers using language that is understandable for each category.
- Develop strategic thinking to constantly see the big picture of the project.
- Study materials related to both the main specialty and IT-related fields.
- Understand and explain the importance of information resources for all company participants.
- Objectively assess the role and priorities of specific IT projects for the company as a whole, without neglecting other areas.
- To learn to express one’s thoughts, correctly assessing the importance and ability to convey information to third parties at public events.
- Take advantage of the benefits of advisory expert committees to solve key problems and issues.
- Be open to collaboration and assistance from other departments within the company to achieve the goals set for the company.
- Learn to find solutions to problems related to possible injustice towards you or misunderstanding of your point of view.
- Starting as a narrow specialist in your field, expand your circle of professional interests, scaling your thinking to understand the company’s global tasks.
- Spend time studying business processes to expand your area of responsibility and become a full-fledged partner in achieving the company’s goals.
- Do not disrupt the balance between work and rest, remain a versatile personality.
Habits that kill you as a professionall
If there are good habits of an IT specialist, there are also harmful ones. It is necessary to avoid them as much as possible, controlling one’s thoughts. What not to do:
- Don’t be focused on negative things
- Do not overestimate your abilities by wanting to take on as many projects as possible
- Do not dedicate 100% of your time to work, stick to work-life balance
- Do not be afraid to ask if something is unclear
- Do not procrastinate and put off work for tomorrow if it can and should be done today, follow time management
Bad habits of a programmer include perfectionism, workaholism, and procrastination. They do not motivate, so it is worth learning to fight them!
An IT specialist can have good and bad habits, but a professional strives to develop their strengths, perfecting the skills and habits that will allow them to achieve even more goals and realize themselves as an expert in their field.Please take the emotional intelligence test in the article “What is Emotional Intelligence and how does a high emotion coefficient help to work more efficiently” and determine the vectors along which you can work on your skills and achieve new career heights!